Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Constant Juggle and Staying Motivated

I often get asked, “how do you do everything you do?” and “how do you stay motivated?”

Between work, school, dance, PR projects and making time for family and friends….oh and “me time” it is definitely a constant juggle. Though, I make the time and I make it work.

I will be honest. It’s not always easy, and it can be exhausting at times.
However, I am motivated by the plans I have for my future, and my passion behind what I do. I am excited for what is yet to come, and I see myself doing big things! I may have several interests, but ultimately I have a couple of key goals that I strive to reach. Some people believe, “less is more,” and while I do believe everything is good in moderation there are times we have to kick it into high gear.

(Photo credit: In2theMystic) 

Staying organized is essential to one’s success, particularly the busier we get. In order to accomplish my short term and long term goals, I set expectations for myself. I create tasks and goals on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis. For example, my resolutions for 2014 consist of several goals that are attainable to achieve throughout the year, each one leading to the next. These tasks are a constant reminder to keep working hard for what I want. I even have them written down on a whiteboard on my fridge. Managing my time and balancing my priorities is something I will always continue to work on. Once I commit to a project, I expect nothing less of myself than to follow through.

However, juggling too many things can easily spiral out of control. Be sure to not over commit yourself. Remember, it is ok to politely say no to people and projects. If you sign up to do something, then do the best you can to execute flawlessly. If you begin a task, but come across a road block remember it is ok to ask for help.

Some of my own goals intimidate me, but I can’t let that stop me from working towards them. Sometimes I think to myself “is this even realistic?” or “how am I going to get there?” Having a positive mentality and open mind has allowed me to try new things, leading me to open more doors. I take on as many opportunities as I can. I try to meet new people as often as possible. Not everything has a positive outcome, but I learn lessons in everything that I do and carry it forward to the next task.

I stay motivated by surrounding myself with encouraging people. I can be my own worst critic at times, and come down on myself pretty hard. I need people in my life that can help reassure me of my accomplishments and my efforts. In return, I like to be the kind of person that can help and inspire others. The world is competitive as it is, so the last thing we need is to compete with ourselves.

Many of us are in the same boat trying to sail into the future. I find it rather healthy and beneficial to listen to other’s experiences to help us move forward. Hearing people’s stories helps me relate their journey and struggles to mine.

Not all people that enter my life will be a positive influence. I have learned that some people will enter my life to help boost me up, while others enter my life to teach me a lesson. This has not been a concept I have been able to grasp lightly. I genuinely get attached to people, and always find a way to connect with them…even the most stubborn people. It’s who I am, and it’s in my nature.

I constantly have to remind myself that the negative energy in some people only brings me down, and at some point I have to decide to cut the cord. I don’t feel the need to answer to anyone or impress anyone other than myself. It’s good to be challenged, but in a healthy way. I take feedback rather well, and I try to learn from others as often as possible, but if an individual is distracting me from my path to success then it is not worth dedicating the extra time.

PEOPLE in general inspire me. I observe everyone that I cross paths with. Their posture, their tone of voice, and their non-verbals speak measures. I learn a lot from people by watching their behaviors, but most importantly engaging in conversations. It’s fair to say I’m quite the extrovert, but even the most introverted person can learn from others by simply observing them.

There is definite truth behind the phrase, “never judge a book by its cover.” The story a person far surpasses what we see or assume from the outside. I am a rather curious person. I like to ask questions, I like to know the HOW and WHY behind something, and I like to learn from people.

Getting to know different types of people is what motivates me to be a better person, stronger woman, and happier individual. While I usually preach for people to not compare themselves to others, there is a slight exception I make to this rule. The only time I compare myself to others is when I see something I like and want it for myself. I don’t like to judge people, but let’s be real we all do it. Judging doesn’t have to be a negative connotation, and as a matter of fact I try to see the good in people and apply what I like about them to myself and where I want to go. Simultaneously, learning from the elements I can't relate to or find harmful to my overall well-being.

We all have our own ways of staying motivated, but I’m a firm believer in keeping an all-around positive attitude. I seldom post negative comments on social media because I feel that the slightest notion of negativity will put a kink in my progress. I’m certainly not a fake person, and I’m only human so yes I have days where all I want to do is vent. I leave those moments to when I’m alone, or occasionally with a close friend.

Staying organized, asking for help and continuing to learn from others has allowed me to juggle my projects and activities. I have learned that it is ok to say no, and to also take time out for myself. My passion for what I do is what drives and motivates me to do better. 

I try to keep my eyes on the prize as I step forward, one foot at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment